Director, Product Development
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2023
Location: In Office 3 days/week in LA office
Who We Are:
Thrive Causemetics is Bigger Than Beauty™: We are an independent, female-owned beauty brand that creates high-performance vegan cosmetics and supports a community of giving. All of Thrive Causemetics' products are free of parabens and sulfates, in addition to being 100 percent cruelty-free. Through its Bigger Than Beauty™ program, every product you purchase results in a donation to help a woman thrive.
Thrive Causemetics is dedicated to fostering a collaborative and cross-functional workplace where everyone’s voice matters. We are committed to being pioneers in creating a culture of wellness. Together, we prioritize strong work ethic while maintaining a positive, exciting environment where people are passionate about what they do.
Who We Are Looking For:
We are looking for a Director Product Development (PD) to support our rapid growth, provide innovative product development strategy across all categories, and lead a high performing team. This position will also provide direction and oversight for a variety of tasks required for new product launches, extensions and reformulations. The ideal candidate should be detail-oriented, highly organized, and someone who enjoys having impact on several projects at once with exemplary positive leadership to the PD team and throughout the company.
What you will be doing:
- Oversee the entire product development process (new innovation and reformulations) to ensure it runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Collaborate with Leadership and Marketing in the creation of the product roadmap, including briefs, supplier selection, formula creation, quote requests, negotiate price and timeline, create and maintain COGS to ensure product profitability, batch review and approval, product testing (safety and clinical), and delivery of specified timeline per the NPD process
- Create, maintain and sustain strong supplier relationships as the key stakeholder for any PD/development escalation with suppliers
- Work efficiently across the organization to support company business plans and product assortment calendar
- Manage the product development budget and expenses, especially relating to product testing costs with approved outside testing labs
- Manage and develop the Product Development team, including hiring, training, coaching, setting goals and evaluating employee performance and career development
- Establish strategic partnerships with suppliers, manufacturers, and other industry experts to develop new products or improve existing products and identify future innovation
- Organize, create and maintain product masters library
- Recommend the nature and scope of present and future product lines by reviewing product specifications and requirements, appraising new product ideas and/or product and packaging changes
- Deep understanding and passion in raw ingredients, consumer feedback and competitive trends to recommend formulas and innovation
- Partner with cross functional teams on sku productivity, product launch strategies and execution
- Assist in leading the company towards sustainability efforts
- Attend industry conferences to keep informed of new product and packaging innovations
- Demonstrate the Thrive Causemetics values by actively participating in the building of the company culture
What will make you stand out:
- 7+ years of experience in beauty and skincare product development
- Strong leadership experience in managing and developing a team
- Experience launching color cosmetics, skincare, and OTC products
- Highly organized with extensive project management experience in a product-related capacity
- Understands the importance of market research to identify beauty trends
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal teams, including senior management and peers
- Proficient in GSuite
- US citizenship or permanent residency required
Thrive Causemetics is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The base pay range for this role is $150,000 - $170,000, with the following factors determining the base pay at offer: skills, qualifications, experience. This range provides the opportunity to progress as you grow and develop within a role. Additionally, this role is also eligible for an annual discretionary bonus based on company and individual performance. Thrive Causemetics provides a competitive benefits package, including but not limited to: comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, a 401(k) plan with employer matching, various paid time off programs, employee discount/perks, life insurance, disability insurance, and employee assistance programs.