Senior Software Engineer, Search & Ranking
thredUP is transforming resale with technology and a mission to inspire a new generation of consumers to think secondhand first. By making it easy to buy and sell secondhand, thredUP has become one of the world's largest online resale platforms for apparel, shoes and accessories. Sellers love thredUP because we make it easy to clean out their closets and unlock value for themselves or for the charity of their choice while doing good for the planet. Buyers love shopping value, premium and luxury brands all in one place, at up to 90% off estimated retail price. Our proprietary operating platform is the foundation for our managed marketplace and consists of distributed processing infrastructure, proprietary software and systems and data science expertise. With thredUP's Resale-as-a-Service, some of the world's leading brands and retailers are leveraging our platform to deliver customizable, scalable resale experiences to their customers. thredUP has processed over 172 million unique secondhand items from 55,000 brands across 100 categories. By extending the life cycle of clothing, thredUP is changing the way consumers shop and ushering in a more sustainable future for the fashion industry.
How You Will Make An Impact
thredUP has close to 100 engineers in Product Engineering, Operations Engineering, Data Science & Analytics, Data Engineering, and Cloud Engineering teams. We’re looking for a seasoned Senior Engineer to join our small but mighty Merchandising Engineering team — a team of polyglot software engineers focused on innovating how our users find products they love. Within this team, you will be a resident expert in search, ranking, personalization, and natural language processing. You will extend your influence by leading, educating, mentoring, and coordinating engineering projects to improve our technology, engineering processes, and effectiveness of our engineers.
In This Role You’ll Get To:
Architect, build, maintain, and improve the systems that power our search, ranking, and inventory-based indexes
Collaborate with your peers and other cross-functional teams across time zones to ensure our platforms can scale the business and yield desired results
Set realistic timelines with effective communication to technical/business stakeholders
Contribute towards improving our processes and engineering culture
Serve as an engineering leader for both the Merchandising team and Engineering Org — levelingUP the skills & expertise of others on the team
What We’re Looking For:
A proven track record of delivering secure, production grade JVM services
Extensive experience working with search engine technologies — particularly Elasticsearch or OpenSearch
Being adept in tactful feedback through code reviews, refinements, and everyday collaboration
Effective technical communication & collaboration with engineers across the company
A deep understanding of microservice, hybrid, and monolith services and their tradeoffs
Experience with continuous integration, test automation, monitoring, and documentation
Experience with Kubernetes, AWS, event-driven systems (Kafka), and cloud-based services
A direct partner to DS and ML engineers to build new algorithms that scale
(Bonus) Ruby on Rails experience
(Bonus) ML experience
(Bonus) E-commerce experience
At thredUP, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays between $185,000 and $227,000, and your actual base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location.
Many thredUP employees also have the opportunity to own shares of thredUP stock. thredUP employees are eligible for discretionary restricted stock unit awards, as well as a discount when purchasing thredUP stock if voluntarily participating in thredUP’s Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Subject to eligibility requirements, you’ll also receive other benefits: Comprehensive medical & dental coverage, vision, 401k, life and disability insurance.
What We Offer:
- 4-day work week, with Fridays off
- Hybrid work environment: 3 days in the office and 1 day remote each week
- Competitive salary (we leverage market data)
- Many thredUP employees also have the opportunity to own shares of thredUP stock and are eligible for discretionary restricted stock unit awards
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Flexible PTO (take the time you need) + 13 company holidays
- Paid Sabbatical after 3 years of full time employment
- Generous paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k, life and disability insurance offered
- We live by our Core Values of Transparency, SpeakingUP, Thinking Big, Infinite Learning, Influencing Outcomes & Seeking the Truth
- TIME Magazine’s Most Influential Companies of 2023, WWD’s Most Influential ESG Leaders, TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions 2022, Shoptalk’s ATLIS Awards, Business Insider’s Retail Tech Power Players, Inc.’s Power Partner Awards, Lattice’s People Success Awards, Digiday's WorkLife 50 award
- RaaS - Inc. Magazine, 2022 Power Partner Awards
- Thrift the Look– TIME Magazine, The Best Inventions of 2022
- Winner of Lattice's “People Vision” - recognizing thredUP as a top place to work for our investment in professional development and our innovations in work-life integration
We believe diversity, inclusion and belonging is key for our team
At thredUP, our mission has been built on extending the lives of millions of unique clothing items. Much like our inventory, we are proud to have fostered a workplace that is one-of-a-kind. As a company focused on diversity, inclusion and belonging, we are committed to ensuring our employees are comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work every day. A unique perspective is critical to solving complex problems and inspiring a new generation to think secondhand first. Be you.
If you are a candidate with a disability and have a reasonable accommodation request for the job application process, please email the specific details of your disability related accommodation request. This email address is reserved for candidates with disabilities only. General application inquiries will not receive a response.