Manager, Software Engineering
As a Manager, you will be a key driver in building features and platform stability into Markforged’s cloud-based 3D printing solution. You will be responsible for entire feature sets and the people delivering them: decomposition of requirements, hands-on implementation, cross-team coordination, and the career arc of a team of strong engineers. You will have a growth mindset, accelerating engineers’ career progression and hiring more team members.
This is a player/coach role. Markforged strongly values individuals who use, understand, and love our product and want to see their efforts actively being used by their customers. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of hands-on experience in managing and maturing teams and with a “ship often” mindset.
What will you own?
- Manage and grow a team of 3-7 experienced engineers responsible for building full feature sets
- Drive technical decisions and be accountable for the delivery of solutions on initiatives they own
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at a large scale
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Plan for the growth of Markforged's infrastructure
- Work directly with the Product team to own and manage their own team’s roadmap
- Gain experience using the latest generation of 3D printers and assist our team as we explore new ways to integrate machine features into the product
- Comfortability commuting to our Waltham, MA HQ 2+ days/week
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point we’re getting at, it doesn’t hurt to take a chance and apply!
What you have:
- 1+ year experience in Engineering Management
- 5+ years experience in leading the design, execution, and shipment of high-quality features with strong Computer Science fundamentals
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Proven experience delivering under an Agile/Scrum/Kanban methodology
- Experience with contemporary web development frameworks (Angular, React/ Redux, Node.js, etc.)
- Experience with cloud systems such as AWS or Azure
- Knowledge of performance optimization, parallelization, and distributed systems
- Experience building APIs, Services, and/or Scaling Systems
- Significant Experience with Schema Design and Query Optimization with SQL
- Have excellent verbal & written English communication
- Know your way around a UNIX shell
- Proficiency in writing Node applications and scaling them to support thousands of users
- Can design and implement tooling and automation for clustering, scaling, monitoring, and alerting
- Experience with web-based visualization frameworks (Canvas, D3, Three.js, WebGL, and more)
- Experience with CAD/CAM software and 3D modeling libraries
- A huge plus for experience with 3D Printing / Additive Manufacturing