Senior Software Engineer, Edge
InfluxData is the creator of InfluxDB, the leading time series platform. More than 1,900 customers use InfluxDB to collect, store, and analyze all time series data at any scale. Developers can query and analyze their time-stamped data in real-time to discover, interpret, and share new insights to gain a competitive edge. InfluxData is a remote-first company with a globally distributed workforce. For more information, visit www.influxdata.com.
InfluxData is the creator of InfluxDB, the leading time series platform. We empower developers and organizations, such as Cisco, IBM, Siemens, and CERN to build real-time applications for IoT, analytics, and cloud native services. Our technology is purpose-built to handle the massive volumes of time-stamped data produced by sensors, applications and computer infrastructure. InfluxData is headquartered in San Francisco, with a workforce distributed throughout the U.S., Canada, and across Europe.
InfluxDB is one of the most popular and fastest growing open source databases, and is the premier Time Series database available today. InfluxDB is deployed on hundreds of thousands of machines, and is used by teams worldwide to monitor infrastructure, IoT, and a myriad of applications. The majority of our users are developers and system integrators working with our open source software. We also offer enterprise and cloud SaaS products, all exposing a single unified API that reduces the infrastructure and time needed to become productive with InfluxDB.
In order to help us improve and expand on our core products, we're looking for a Senior Software Engineer with a background in the development of database systems or similar services. You will join the InfluxDB Edge team and take an active role in the ongoing development and maintenance of the InfluxDB 1.x and 2.x product lines (including Open Source and Enterprise) and Kapacitor processing engine. You will share your experience and skills with the team and learn from them in return, and will work closely with other teams to help refine best practices and deliver on shared product goals. Likewise, you will work to keep pace with our OSS community and help find ways to let our OSS developers see results from their contributions.
We’re a globally distributed, friendly, and cooperative team who thrive on interaction and collaboration. We meet once a day as a team for a quick catch up (a sort of verbal scrum), as well as have regular pairing sessions over video conferences throughout the week. We also meet with the entire company three times a week to learn about what’s going on across the business and share news about upcoming events and activities.
What you’ll be doing
- Full project ownership for critical parts of the core products; design and specification, implementation, communication, test plans, and delivery.
- Develop and maintain the Open Source and Enterprise versions of InfluxDB and Kapacitor.
- Uphold engineering best practices applied across projects and teams.
- Mentor and level up fellow teammates with pairing and code reviews.
What we’re looking for
- 5+ years of professional engineering experience building and shipping production software, with both cloud and on-prem delivery models.
- Self motivation and a drive to get stuff done. Working independently but closely integrated with the rest of the team, you will deliver and expect high quality results.
- Demonstrated proficiency in an established programming language (e.g. Go, Rust, C/C++, Java, C#).
- Willingness and enthusiasm for learning and working in Go.
- Demonstrated experience with a modern frontend JS framework (React, Angular, Vue).
- Experience with front-end build process and testing methodologies.
- Solid understanding of core Computer Science concepts (data structures, algorithms, time and memory complexity)
- Strong Linux/Unix command line skills
- Working knowledge of Git (and GitHub) and related workflows.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
Bonus points if you
- Experience designing, extending, and maintaining well-tested Go.
- Experience with AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, and other cloud technologies.
- Experience writing and maintaining complex distributed systems, parsers, query engines, indexing
- Experience in continuous integration and delivery.
- Experience working with distributed development teams.
- Experience working with and contributing to open source projects and related communities.
- Experience building OLAP or non-relational databases (examples: InfluxDB, MongoDB, Redis, Etcd).
- Exposure to agile software development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc).
Pay Transparency at InfluxData
InfluxData takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into two zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The offered starting salary will be determined based on the candidate’s job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. Ranges are evaluated on a periodic basis and are subject to change at the Company’s discretion.
Range: $130,000 - $170,000
To find a location’s zone designation or for additional information, please speak to your recruiter.
In addition to a competitive base salary, InfluxData offers comprehensive and inclusive employee benefits including medical, dental, vision, and mental health benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible paid time off, home office or co-working reimbursements, and participation in InfluxData’s equity program (where applicable).
We offer fantastic benefits for full time employees; in the US these include:
- Medical/dental/vision insurance with 100% coverage for employees and dependents
- Company contribution to your FSA
- Flexible Time Off - take the time you need
- Life Insurance, short and long term disability insurance
- Wellness programs
- Annual professional development budget
- Financial planning and legal advice
Our Core Values
Our employees are the heart of the company and only by having a core set of beliefs and values will we be successful. We hire and live by these core values:
- We value each other
- We get stuff done
- We believe humility drives learning
- We embrace failure
- We are committed to open source
Visit our careers page to learn more about working at InfluxData.
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other categories protected by applicable law.
To view our Know Your Rights Poster click HERE
To view our CCPA policies click HERE
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters and recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.