Technical Support Engineer
InfluxData is the creator of InfluxDB, the leading time series platform. More than 1,900 customers use InfluxDB to collect, store, and analyze all time series data at any scale. Developers can query and analyze their time-stamped data in real-time to discover, interpret, and share new insights to gain a competitive edge. InfluxData is a remote-first company with a globally distributed workforce. For more information, visit www.influxdata.com.
When something is broken, do you want to figure out why? When you figure out why, do you explain the process to your friends? Join our growing support team to level up on cutting-edge technology, Golang, SaaS operations, and to collaborate with our wide range of customers and partners.
As a Support Engineer, you'll respond to support questions from our range of customers, collaborate with the developers and product teams on characterizing, reproducing, and fixing issues, host webinars, and work with our open-source community on GitHub and elsewhere. You will be a key part of our 24/7 support presence by partnering with our on-prem customers and SaaS users. You'll be supporting users at Fortune 50 enterprises, fledgling startups, established startups, academic researchers, and government projects. Our customers come from many fields, including industrial automation, high frequency trading, consumer retail, online gaming, and energy management. We're looking for candidates who value continual improvement, building tools, and venturing into the unknown. The Support team is a good home for people who leave things better than they found them. We are people who say "I'll learn!" rather than "I don't know." You'll need to be open to experimenting, which means that sometimes you will fail. (That's okay -- every mistake is also a lesson.) You'll need the persistence to find a solution without a flowchart laying out the entire process. You'll need the maturity and experience to work without direct oversight much of the day and with colleagues distributed around the globe. Being empathic, supportive, and self-aware are key to your success.
We are currently seeking individuals located in the EST time zone in the US or Canada.
What you'll be doing
- Demonstrate ownership, follow-through with customers and drive issues to resolution
- Reproduce customer issues and test new product functionality
- Partner with customers to achieve their desired goals by illustrating best practices
- Adhere to contractual SLAs for responsiveness
- Update and extend documentation
- Participate in on-call rotation for the SaaS product with rest of the team
- Enhance our InfluxDB Cloud offering using automation and monitoring tools
- Develop solutions using SQL, Python, and Golang
- Communicate recurring issues, challenges, and roadblocks with fellow team members
What you bring to the table
- 5+ years of technical work experience: support, development, engineering, etc.
- Profound knowledge in database concepts, automation, monitoring, templating, APIs,
and Linux based CLIs
- Experience in a customer-facing position
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Empathy for people facing technical challenges
- Knowledge of Networking and HTTP(S)d
- Expertise in at least in one of the following: SQL, Python+NumPy/SciPy, R, Matlab,
- Proficiency integrating with AWS, Azure, GCP, and their associated Kubernetes
- Exposure to AWS Lambda (or equivalent), RDS, S3 (or equivalent)
- Advanced data manipulation skillset in Parquet, JSON, and CSV formats
- Familiarity with system monitoring tools and practices (Nagios, Zabbix, Zenoss,
- Git or other version control systems experience
- Software development experience, particularly Golang, Rust or Apache Arrow
- Fluency with queuing (Kafka, Rabbit MQ, MQ Series, etc.)
- Competence in working with time-series data tools
- Professional Services or Training experience
Pay Transparency at InfluxData
InfluxData takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into two zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The offered starting salary will be determined based on the candidate’s job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. Ranges are evaluated on a periodic basis and are subject to change at the Company’s discretion.
Salary Range- $90k-$120k
To find a location’s zone designation or for additional information, please speak to your recruiter.
In addition to a competitive base salary, InfluxData offers comprehensive and inclusive employee benefits including medical, dental, vision, and mental health benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible paid time off, home office or co-working reimbursements, and participation in InfluxData’s equity program (where applicable).
We offer fantastic benefits for full time employees; in the US these include:
- Medical/ dental/vision insurance with 100% coverage for employees and dependents
- Company contribution to your FSA
- Flexible Time Off - take the time you need
- Life Insurance, short and long term disability insurance
- Wellness programs
- ....and more perks!
Our Core Values
Our employees are the heart of the company and only by having a core set of beliefs and values will we be successful. We hire and live by these core values:
- We value each other
- We get stuff done
- We believe humility drives learning
- We embrace failure
- We are committed to open source
Visit our careers page to learn more about working at InfluxData.
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other categories protected by applicable law.
To view our Know Your Rights Poster click HERE
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters and recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.