Network Engineer (Remote - UK)
Remote · United Kingdom
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
Who We Are
At Firstup, our mission is to improve the employee experience at every moment that matters, large and small. As the communication pipeline for the world's workforce, we now serve 40 of the Fortune 100 companies, reaching and connecting more than 17 million employees daily.
Our employees are experts in the employee experience, workforce communications and technology.
Joining Firstup means joining a movement to make work better for every worker. As the world’s first intelligent communication platform, Firstup meaningfully engages employees at every moment from hire to retire, and delivers engagement insights to help companies support, promote and retain their talent. Our movement has taken root and is evident in our world-class customer base. Now we need your help. Ready to make a difference in the world?
Every employee is an owner with responsibility and credit for our progress.
Leadership is in our build and we see change as a catalyst for improvement.
We win as a team, committed to help our coworkers and customers thrive.
As the Network Engineer you will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining the Firstup's computer/cloud networks and communication systems. This role requires strong technical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with multiple teams. Additionally, you must be able to work well under pressure and be willing to work outside of normal business hours when necessary.
- Designing and implementing computer networks: responsible for LANs, WANs, Cloud, Wireless access, and VPNs. This involves selecting the appropriate hardware and software, configuring the network, and ensuring that it is operating efficiently.
- Installation, Maintenance, and troubleshooting: responsible for the installation and ongoing maintenance of our networks and resolving any issues that may arise. This includes monitoring performance, troubleshooting problems, and performing routine maintenance tasks or improvements where necessary, this involves coordination with internal teams and 3rd party suppliers.
- Ensuring network security: responsible for ensuring that the network is secure and protected from unauthorised access. This involves implementing security protocols, configuring firewalls, configuring cloud, and monitoring network activity for potential security incidents, ensuring that the organisation's network infrastructure is secure and compliant with relevant regulations.
- Collaborating with other IT professionals: works closely with other IT professionals, such as system administrators and software developers, to ensure that the network is integrated with other systems and that it meets the organisation's needs.
- Documentation and reporting: document the network systems and their configurations, including network diagrams, cloud diagrams, system configurations, cloud configurations, and security protocols. This documentation helps to create a knowledge base that can be referenced by other members of the IT team. Providing regular reports on network performance and uptime to senior management.
- Monitoring network performance and troubleshoot issues as they arise.
- Developing and implementing network security policies and procedures.
- Keeping up to date with technology trends and recommending new technologies and solutions to improve our network infrastructure.
- Providing technical support and assistance to employees.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in computer science, information technology, or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience in a network and cloud engineering role.
- Strong understanding of computer networks and communication systems.
- Experience with network equipment, including routers, switches, firewalls, and wireless access points.
- Experience with BGP and high availability for routers/switches/firewalls.
- At least three years experience of cyber security relating to networks.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to liaise with network vendors and deal with circuit issues or renewals.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with network monitoring and management tools.
- Extensive experience of enterprise LAN/WAN/WLAN management.
- Experience with AWS or equivalent.
- Experience with Palo Alto and Cisco.
Because you care - about people, the work you do, and the connections you make. Work is such a large part of life; it only makes sense to make it awesome.
If you want to engage brilliant minds in a high-growth and inclusive environment where ideas are rewarded regardless of who they come from, join us. This is a rapidly changing space so if you thrive on ambiguity, are hungry for a challenge, and have the guts to speak your mind, you could be a perfect fit.
We offer an excellent PTO program, great health benefits, a casual and friendly environment, remote work, and a leadership team who truly believes in your growth – both personally and professionally.
Firstup is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and to all employees, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, protected disability, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state or local laws.