Senior Director Marketing Communications
About the opportunity
In our digital-first world, content is the experience. It’s how we interact - as consumers, as employees, and as people. It’s how we share emotion, come together, and find inspiration. At Contentful we believe that technology should enable digital teams (both human and AI) to be highly coordinated with intelligent process automation to drive the highest levels of efficiency and quality. By enabling this refreshing and intelligent way of working, organizations can deliver amazing and highly personalized content experiences required to compete in the modern era.
Composable content is how Contentful is elevating digital experiences everywhere for the people who make them and the people who live them. We think the elements that make a digital experience good for one person should be scaled to make other people's experience better.
As a vital part of our growth acceleration, we are seeking a Senior Director, Communications to lead a team responsible for public relations, corporate communications, executive communications and employee communications on a global scale. This leader will work closely with the marketing leadership and executives to shape and deliver the company narrative across all external and internal communications channels. A relentless focus on developing cohesive and compelling messaging will be key to delivering against brand awareness and thought leadership goals for 2024.
This role will report to the VP, Brand Experience, and will be responsible for leading both external and internal communications for the executive leadership team. You will have an opportunity to build and drive strategic voice and communications for senior Contentful executives with a focus on external media to help define brand voice and drive thought leadership impact. You will also be responsible for driving a foundational and predictable approach for internal communications that leverages internal survey data and research to improve employee communications. This is a strategic role that provides significant opportunity for executive visibility, cross-team collaboration, a breadth of communication experience and business impact.
What to expect?
As a communications leader with solid executive presence, exceptional writing and critical thinking skills, your role will include, but not be limited to:
- Work in collaboration with the CMO, CEO, and other Executives to set high-level communications strategies for external communication plans and internal communications strategies, including employee engagement communities, such as Town Halls, Company Kick-off, and other high-impact employee forums.
- Identify and develop all communications materials required for strategy execution. Takes responsibility for execution of the full bill of materials including press pitches, press releases, executive talking points, speaking engagements, and storyline development.
- Oversee the creation of compelling external communications content, including press releases, newsroom articles, byline articles, and joint partner communications.
- Be a thought partner to leaders and Executives to develop and drive strategic communications in support of company objectives to build market awareness for the brand, which includes crafting speeches, presentations, and other communication materials.
- Build and drive a breakthrough thought leadership strategy that aligns Contentful with key communications pillars and produces measurable results.
- Understand the communications landscape and needs of various audiences, regularly evolving to reflect changes to business priorities.
Storytelling and Messaging
- Ensure that all communication materials reflect the company's brand and messaging guidelines.
- Drive the creation of differentiated messaging that supports our focus areas and key themes by working with Brand, Content, Product Marketing leaders, or agency partners to develop compelling, unified, and strategically relevant messaging concepts.
- Leads stories across global and local teams in fresh ways that generate positive perceptions towards Contentful.
- Collaborates across teams to develop and drive storytelling opportunities by using data and insights.
- Guides others to determine the format of stories. Leverages expertise to determine what format is most appropriate and meaningful for a story and target audience(s).
- Attends the cadence of storytelling (e.g., duration, evolution), including content development and curation to land a story. Ensures confluence of content and audience across stories.
- Creates narratives based on messaging frameworks that drive content development and deployment. Uses trends and forecasting to develop and land stories that may take time to manifest.
- Work closely with Product Marketing and Brand Experience leaders to help ensure a consistent brand voice and alignment to strategic communications and PR while working lockstep with Content Marketing to develop written materials, communications, FAQs, and other collateral for both internal and external communication programs.
- Provide media training for executives to enhance their communication skills.
- Lead and inspire a diverse team of communication and marketing professionals, providing mentorship and fostering a collaborative and innovative work environment.
- Set clear goals and objectives for the team, monitoring progress and ensuring successful execution of communications initiatives.
- Evaluate and refine operational processes to improve coordination and efficiency across the Comms team and broader Marketing organization.
- Participate in the Brand Experience and Marketing Leadership Team to maintain a cohesive operating model and continue to foster/evolve our uniquely outstanding team culture.
- Develop and execute media relations programs by proactively engaging with media outlets to secure positive coverage by cultivating relationships with reporters, identifying story ideas, submitting awards, calls for speakers, and managing the company's reputation.
- Lead and manage relationships with external communications, media, and agency partners.
- Act as a spokesperson for Contentful, building and maintaining relationships with key journalists and industry influencers.
- Develop and manage a Contentful Speakers Bureau to drive consistency and effectiveness when presenting and speaking externally in the market, by offering training and coaching on key messages for particular situations.
- Lead the content strategy for employee forums and presentations including company kick-off and town halls.
- Lead execution and evolution of all internal communication channels and tools to ensure employees are informed and engaged.
- Drive employee advocacy by fostering a strong internal communications culture.
- Lead the evolution of our employer brand in close partnership with HR leadership.
- Align Contentful communications - story, key messages, and editorial calendar - across paid, earned, and owned channels as a part of an integrated campaign.
- Develop and implement crisis communication plans, providing timely and transparent communication during challenging situations.
- Serve as a key point of contact for media inquiries during crises.
What you need to be successful?
- BA, or equivalent preferably in: Communications, Business Administration, Journalism or related area.
- 15+ years of communications experience, including technology and issues management. A mix of agency and in-house experience is preferred with global media relationships including a broad range of media outlets.
- Demonstrated ability to build cross-functional partnerships with teams such as product marketing, demand generation, field marketing, etc.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the experience and ability to work effectively with C-Suite executives.
- Crisis communication experience on a global scale.
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills as well as the ability to think strategically and creatively while managing multiple issues and projects.
- Experience across a variety of corporate communications disciplines, including strategy work, B2B communications, media relations, issues management/crisis communications, and executive communications.
- Ability to understand and use metrics and analytics to measure success, drive desired outcomes, and inform ongoing optimization and strategy.
- Strong people management and leadership experience and ability to hire, coach, and develop talent as well as build a collaborative team.
- Empathy, good emotional intelligence, and cultural sensitivity. Good sense of humor and ability to see work as fun.
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital experiences
- Full-time employees receive Stock Options for the opportunity to share ownership and the success of our company
- Comprehensive health/dental/vision care package covering 100% of monthly premiums for employees
- We value Work-Life balance and You Time! A generous amount of paid time off, including vacation days, education days, and volunteer days
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave to care for and focus on your growing family
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career.
- Enjoy a full range of virtual events, including workshops, guest speakers, and fun team activities, supporting learning and networking exchange beyond the usual work duties
- Use your physical fitness budget to get away from your desk and support your physical wellness
- A monthly phone/internet stipend and phone upgrade reimbursement after 2 years
- New hire office equipment stipend. Get the gear you need to work at your best.
This role will need to be conducted in a state in which we are currently registered to do business.
Who are we?
Contentful is the intelligent composable content platform that unlocks all of an organization’s digital content to deliver impactful customer experiences, making content a strategic business asset. The Contentful Platform, Contentful Studio, and the Contentful Ecosystem combine the flexibility of composable content with the intelligence of AI, empowering digital teams to drive business momentum through collaboration, speed, and scale. Contentful powers innovative content experiences across brands, regions, and channels for organizations around the world, including nearly 30% of the Fortune 500. Nearly 800 people from more than 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, Denver and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
If you need reasonable accommodations at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiting coordinator know.
Please be aware of scammers who may fraudulently allege to be from Contentful. These types of fraud can be carried out through copycat websites, fake email addresses claiming to be from our company, or social media. We do not ask for your personal information such as bank account numbers, identification numbers, etc through social media or chat-based apps, nor do we request or send money for the purchase of business equipment. If you suspect fraud, please report it to your local authorities, as well as reaching out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you may have.
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.