Senior Engineering Manager
About the opportunity
Are you a motivated, people-focused technical manager that is passionate about tackling big challenges? Do you have an entrepreneurial mindset, enjoy building new products, and have a talent for growing people and teams? If so, read on. This opportunity at Contentful just might be for you.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced engineering manager to grow and manage teams that will discover and build new products for Contentful. As a key member of the product development team, you’ll be responsible for hiring and actively managing software engineers, working closely with Product and Design leaders to build an ambitious roadmap, organizing the team’s work and project delivery timelines, and building a high-performing team culture. The ideal candidate for this role will need to be a champion for iterative software development, and skilled at bringing organization to projects with uncertainty as we discover the right features to build for customers and bring an ambitious new product to market.
This is an opportunity to have a big impact as we form new product development teams in the US and expand our footprint. We are only scratching the surface of our full potential. This means you have an incredible opportunity to join us on this journey to do meaningful, challenging work while growing your career.
What to expect?
- Hire, lead and manage 1-2 teams of software engineers focused on new product development
- Establish team practices and culture in service of forming high-performing teams
- Partner closely with Product Management and Design to define and deliver our strategic roadmap
- Be an outspoken champion for iterative, rapid, customer-driven product development
- Build a team culture of innovation, collaboration, inclusivity, and respect
- Collaborate with other Product Development teams in the US and Europe
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and process
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members
- Obsess about software delivery, enabling your team to continuously deliver value to our customers
What you need to be successful?
- 5+ years of experience leading and managing teams of software engineers
- An in-depth, proven software engineering background that allows you to quickly establish credibility with talented engineers
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- First-hand experience with teams building early-stage new products, either at a startup or innovation team
- A good understanding of modern web application and front-end technologies
- Ability to make data-informed decisions in situations with high uncertainty
- A passion for learning and experimentation
- A creative, entrepreneurial mindset and a burning desire to build and deliver valuable products to customers
- Experience recruiting, hiring and onboarding exceptional engineering talent
- A passion for mentoring, coaching and enabling growth and development
- Excellent communication skills and ability to cultivate empathy and openness toward people from all over the globe
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital experiences
- Full-time employees receive Stock Options for the opportunity to share ownership and the success of our company
- We value Work-Life balance and You Time! A generous amount of paid time off, including vacation days, education days, and volunteer days
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for information, support, discussion, and counseling for life’s challenges
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career. Join a free German class or one of our many internal learning initiatives!
- Use your physical fitness budget to get away from your desk and support your physical wellness
- Enjoy a full range of virtual events, including workshops, guest speakers, and fun team activities, supporting learning and networking exchange beyond the usual work duties
- A monthly phone/internet stipend and phone upgrade reimbursement after 2 years
- Plus, Contentful socks! And other amazing swag as part of company events. Oh yeah!
Colorado Salary Statement: The salary range displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in the state of Colorado if selected for the role. Any offered salary is determined based on internal equity, internal salary ranges, market data/ranges, applicant's skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications (e.g. JD/technology), for example.
(Non-revenue based roles in CO)
Colorado Salary Range: $206,000 - $226,000
[This position is eligible for equity awards in accordance with the terms of Contentful’s equity plans.]
Who are we?
Contentful is the leading content platform that powers digital experiences for over 30% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Shopify, Staples, Atlassian, Electronic Arts, Chanel, Roche, Vodafone use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice-controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and we have secured over $330 million in funding from top-tier partners such as Tiger Global, Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 750 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, Denver and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
If you need reasonable accommodations at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiting coordinator know.
with any information you may have.
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.