Corporate Counsel, Cybersecurity
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
Accelerate your career by joining Okta as a member of our Cybersecurity Legal Team! As Corporate Counsel, Cybersecurity you’ll be helping to build a scalable global cybersecurity practice and providing product counseling in support of Okta’s rapidly growing public sector vertical.
- Counsel and work closely with Okta’s Product Management and Engineering teams regarding cybersecurity matters impacting Okta’s public sector business. Participate and counsel teams through all stages of the public sector product lifecycle with respect to applicable data security laws and regulations, security frameworks and industry certifications (including ensuring that new environments and offerings are in compliance with public sector requirements, drafting security documentation, drafting product specific terms, etc.).
- Partner with Okta Sales teams to negotiate and advise on security clauses with customers and with vendors.
- Investigate and analyze potential security incidents, determine legal and regulatory responsibilities, advise on necessary and recommended responses, and provide guidance on mitigation, remediation, and resolution efforts.
- Develop, implement, and maintain effective standards, policies and procedures for global public sector incident and data breach planning and response, as well as advise on best practices for addressing any potential cybersecurity vulnerabilities associated with Okta’s services in the public sector vertical.
- Partner with members of the Legal, Security & Compliance, Engineering, Product Management, Marketing and People teams, and outside counsel to help ensure the company’s compliance with cybersecurity related laws, regulations and contractual obligations in a rapidly changing public sector landscape, and to track new and emerging public sector cybersecurity policies and regulations impacting cloud services providers.
- Partner with the Public Sector Legal Team to support Okta’s Sales and Professional Services teams by working with public sector customers, prospective customers, and partners on cybersecurity related questions regarding Okta’s services, including supporting the drafting and negotiation of cybersecurity related agreements and addenda, and supporting the Public Sector compliance team in tracking and ensuring compliance with any non-standard cybersecurity related contract clauses.
- Provide legal advice to Okta’s Security team regarding European agency specific authorization and cybersecurity requirements.
- Review public sector marketing and other external communications content associated with cybersecurity topics for accuracy and completeness.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 3+ years of law firm and/or in-house experience, including at least 2 years working primarily on cybersecurity matters, preferably at a SaaS technology company.
- Public sector product counseling experience, either in-house or at a law firm
- Sound and practical legal and business judgment, as well as the ability to think strategically and develop strong working relationships with key internal clients.
- Deep knowledge of statutes and regulations associated with cybersecurity.
- A self-motivated individual who takes initiative and is comfortable rolling up their sleeves to understand and independently advise on issues of first impression.
- Experience drafting contract language and negotiating strongly preferred.
- Team oriented with a sense of humor and high emotional intelligence
- Strong academic background and a licensed lawyer in good standing in the jurisdiction where he/she works and resides.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.