Director of Engineering, India
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
At Okta, Customer Identity Cloud, we focus on securing the internet by powering the login box. We are looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our app-integrated portfolio focusing on SDK, Marketplace, Product Experience, and Customer Developer Tools teams. Successful candidates will have a passion for engineering management, a technical background, and the ability to collaborate with others to drive initiatives forward.
We are seeking an Engineering Director to lead our India Customer Identity portfolio focused on our App Integrated Portfolio. As an engineering leader, the individual will be responsible for creating a simple, frictionless experience for developers while integrating with our product by expanding our Marketplace offering, increasing adoption of SDK, providing powerful customer developer tools, and building an excellent product experience via our design, documentation, and dashboards.
Successful candidates will have a passion for engineering leadership, be able to lead the strategy definition by partnering with our product teams, have a technical background in building reliable and scalable products used by developers, and have the ability to collaborate with others to drive initiatives forward. In this role, you will be able to significantly contribute to the foundation of Customer Identity cloud Developer experience in SDKs, Marketplace, Experience, and Customer Dev Tools.
What you will be doing
- Direct teams including Managers and Engineers, in SDK, Marketplace Product Experience, and Customer Development Tools for CIC Developer Experience.
- Partner with Engineering Managers and the VP of Engineering to deliver customer-focused and high-performing products, with an emphasis on building a rich developer experience
- Align with program management, product management, security, and design teams to execute the roadmap, involving interactions with engineers, teams, customers, and partners.
- Mentor and coach a diverse team of managers and senior engineers, fostering a culture of growth, openness, and psychological safety.
- Lead recruitment efforts in collaboration with recruiters to expand the team, ensuring alignment with growth plans.
What you’ll bring to the role
- Proven success as a Director or Senior Engineering Manager, building inclusive, collaborative, and high-performing teams. Experienced in managing virtual, geographically distributed teams.
- Strong background in software engineering, with a deep understanding of full-stack development,with a heavy focus on the client side. Experience in designing, deploying, and managing large-scale systems.
- Skilled in Agile methodologies, continuous integration, test automation, and building infrastructure for monitoring and alerting.
- Demonstrates the ability to set high standards and lead teams to achieve goals. Excellent communication skills, comfortable in a globally distributed work culture, and capable of working with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility. Confident in navigating ambiguities.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, with over 5 years in technical leadership and 10 years in software development, including front-end, back-end, and large-scale SaaS software.
- Provide engineering and operational leadership to the India team in close partnership with teams in the US
- Drive a results-oriented culture with a strong focus on innovation , execution, disruption, quality, and speed
- Hands-on technical leader who can guide the team through tough architectural decisions and communicate effectively with customers
- Be a strong partner with product management, customer success and other engineering teams
- Ability to hire and retain a world-class and diverse engineering, infrastructure, SRE and security research team
And extra credit if you have experience in any of the following!
We do not expect you to be an expert in everything below, only that you can learn the less familiar fast:
- Experience working on Identity and Access Management software and concepts.
- Passionate about working on products that can bring world class user experience are highly reliable, maintainable , scalable and secure.
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.