Software Engineering Manager, Okta Personal
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
About The Okta Personal Team
Okta’s mission is to free everyone to safely use any technology, and we are already a category leader in both Workforce Identity and Customer Identity. Okta’s next phase is to bring the same security and ease of use to the rest of our lives outside of work through Okta Personal. We aim to make digital living safe and seamless for everyone.
We are a small, agile and growing team of talented engineers, who are bringing Okta’s expertise and experience in identity to the personal world. With emphasis on a consumer-first mindset, we leverage rapid iteration and ongoing experimentation to build the best product for our users. Working cross-functionally with Product, Design, Research and others, we depend on our ability to communicate openly and collaborate well. We’re looking for great engineering leaders to help us build this team that will define the future of personal identity on the internet. The ideal candidate brings passion and a track record of leading end-user facing development teams, a strong sense of ownership and proactivity, and an ability to adapt and respond quickly in a fast-moving environment.
What You’ll Be Doing
- At a high level, you’ll be managing your team’s goals, contributing to product strategy and helping to develop your employees. More specifically, you’ll:
- Collaborate cross-functionally and across teams, with responsibility for the product, team health, and end user satisfaction.
- Contribute to defining the strategic direction and roadmap for the team.
- Participate in and enable key team processes to organize key projects with high business impact.
- Ensure a high-quality bar for our users through testing and testing automation.
- Build a team for the long term, including creating a collaborative working environment, recruitment, and developing existing talent.
- Ensure technical leadership is being provided to the engineers on the team.
- Drive career management discussions, including setting expectations and removing blockers, and feedback and coaching opportunities
What You’ll Bring To The Role
- 1-4 years managing distributed, consumer-oriented, user-facing engineering teams, focused on new feature/product development.
- Experience in stakeholder management including alignment, prioritization, communication, and receiving and incorporating feedback.
- Proven ability to adapt to changing requirements and the ability to manage a team during a pivot in priorities.
- Demonstrated focus on outcomes, driven to deliver for end-users.
- Track record of team development including processes and culture and individual career management.
Prior Software Development Experience:
- While this role is primarily a people management one, you’ll still need to bring relevant technical experience. We don’t expect you to be the expert in the room, but you should have a basic understanding of the following, and experience leading other experts in these areas:
- Understanding of monolithic applications and microservices
- Frontend web development and mobile apps
- How backend design supports frontend development
- End-user focused security
- Data architecture to support data-driven development
- Identity and access management (IAM) domain (OAuth, SAML and other SSO technologies, WebAuthn and Passkeys, etc.)
- Development in our key platforms: React/Typescript for the web, Chrome Extensions, Spring and Java on the backend, Kotlin and Swift for mobile clients.
- Client-side / end-to-end data encryption.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.