Staff Accountant, Compensation
Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
Staff Accountant, Compensation
We are in search of a top tier Staff Accountant to join our Compensation GL team. The ideal candidate is a detailed-oriented, self-motivated team player, who enjoys working in a challenging and fast-paced environment. This individual should have a solid working knowledge of GAAP, SEC regulations, and internal controls and will be responsible for the timely and accurate recording of compensation and benefits related activities of the company. Additionally, this role will be responsible for supporting the month-end close process, SOX compliance control execution and quarterly / annual audit process, as well as identifying and driving project-based work to provide process efficiencies for the team. This role will be reporting to the Sr. Manager, Accounting and will be required to work in the US (Pacific Time) hours, (9:00pm-6:00am IST).
What you’ll be doing
- Perform various GL month-end close activities for the Okta Global entities, including preparation of journal entries, comp accruals, intercompany transactions in multi currencies, and Accrued Comp balance sheet reconciliations
- Support monthly and bi-weekly pay cycles with the recording of needed journal entries
- Prepare journal entries for cash accounts and perform reconciliation on a regular basis
- Responsible for the preparation of the vacation accruals for entities as assigned
- Prepare month-end closing journal entries, including resolving discrepancies and ensuring entries are in accordance with US GAAP, IFRS, FRS and Local GAAP
- Prepare P&L and Balance Sheet fluctuation analyses and ability to dive into details to further investigate key drivers
- Assist in implementing new accounting policies, controls and procedures
- Ensure SOX and policy compliance
- Assist in preparing internal and external financial reporting schedules
- Provide a high level of customer service with finance and non-finance business partners
- Maintain strong and productive relationships with People team, including Payroll, Benefits, Operations, Finance, Stock Admin, Legal and other internal stakeholders
- Support the quarterly reviews and annual audit requests and inquiries from our external auditors
- Flexibility to adapt and absorb other GL related activities as necessary to accommodate the needs of the team/organization
- Ad hoc accounting projects and requests, as needed
What you’ll bring to the role
- Bachelor’s degree, with an emphasis in Accounting or Finance
- 3-5 years of combined public accounting and private industry at a publicly traded company
- Certified Accountant (CA) or CA candidate a plus
- Experience with the operations and related accounting for payroll, cash, bonus, and commissions would be a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
- Experience with Google Suite preferred
- Experience with NetSuite preferred, or related accounting software
- Experience using Workday, ADP, SafeGuard or other comparable payroll software a plus
- Knowledge and application of US GAAP, IFRS, FRS, Local GAAP, SEC regulations, and SOX/internal controls
- Strong problem solving, analytical, and organizational skills
- Ability to identify, follow-up and resolve discrepancies timely
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong team player, who builds positive work relationships across the organization
- Ability to adhere to deadlines in a fast-paced environment, without sacrificing accuracy
- Strong systems knowledge, including the ability to quickly learn new systems
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.