Senior or Staff Software Engineer, Rust (East Coast)
Canada · United States
Posted on Friday, July 7, 2023
We’re helping organizations deploy supergraphs at scale using Apollo Federation. Are you passionate about language engineering and understand what it takes to write a compiler or a query planner? If so, we’d love to talk to you about joining us in building next-generation GraphQL infrastructure.
With more and more GraphQL APIs being deployed by product teams in organizations, building and organizing subgraphs into a supergraph is crucial in helping engineers quickly build new apps. In this role, you’ll critically impact architecting new query language features. You will lead initiatives with other developers, partnering with your engineering manager, product, design, and others to deliver best-in-class products that span our entire platform. You’ll work with talented folks who value code that is 80% of the value for 20% of the work, designs that are forward-thinking enough to be easily flexible for the next features and lead through ambiguity with a healthy dose of mindfulness and humility. You’ll help them grow and they’ll help you.
Apollo is the worldwide leader of GraphQL innovation. Companies like Netflix, Expedia, Peloton, DoorDash, The New York Times, and Zillow are just a small sample of Apollo's customers. Our open-source product has millions of downloads every week. Gartner estimates that by 2025, 50% of companies will be using GraphQL, and we're the clear market leader.
GraphQL is transforming the software development space by creating a brand new layer in companies' stacks called the supergraph that helps engineering teams ship faster and build richer experiences than ever before. Join us and build the future of Apollo’s Graph Management Plane!
What you'll do
- Write, test, deliver, document, and operate fault-tolerant infrastructure using durable and stable public APIs, primarily in idiomatic Rust, but also in other languages, like TypeScript and Kotlin.
- Communicate confidently with users — whether community or customers — across a broad range of topics to understand their needs and debug their difficulties. Bring learnings, findings, and recommendations back to teammates, as well as Product and Engineering leadership.
- Research and produce clear and maintainable designs which are considerate of our platform of concerns while aligning with technical Product Mangers’ requirements and engineers across teams and delivering for users’ needs.
- Participate in, consult, and lead architectural discussions that define how to operate best and observe graph routing software in customers’ infrastructure stacks using a combination of self-initiated research and real-world experiences.
- Collaborate with other engineers across the organization using supportive communication and constructive code-reviews.
- Lead, mentor, and guide other engineers in architecting and writing code in idiomatic Rust and ensuring that end-to-end consideration of the impact of changes is well-rationalized and that proper cross-domain concerns have been accounted for.
- You’ll become a key Domain owner for the team, taking responsibility for the success of every system and product you own, ensuring the relevant telemetry is being captured.
- You will lead cross-team groups of developers and shepherd large-impact initiatives along, either as the technical leader or coaching members of the team to become technical leaders.
- You’ll mentor junior team members and help with interviewing potential teammates.
- You’ll create technical designs that proactively address cost efficiency, security, and observability.
- You’ll deliver technical plans, one-pagers, DRs, and other artifacts.
- You have deep systems expertise and experience with stateless/fault tolerant systems, as well as familiarity with eventing patterns and distributed paradigms.
- You have experience using Rust in production.
- You are adept at weighing technical and business trade-offs and can “see down the road and around corners”.
- You enjoy cross-team collaboration and believe in a “rising tides lifts all boats” mentality. You level up those around you, bringing everyone along for the ride.
- You have the ability to work with many different team members across various orgs and positively influence others.
- You are data-oriented with a history of leveraging data to create a sticky, high-quality product for users.
- Bonus points if you know GraphQL!
Benefits: Apollo offers all US-based employees a choice of 3 Anthem Blue Cross medical plans. California residents can also choose from 2 Kaiser plans. Dental is provided by Delta Dental and vision by VSP.
Location: This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in the US or Canada, but will be working East Coast hours.
Equal Opportunity: Apollo is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a talented and diverse workforce.