Senior Staff Backend Software Engineer
United States · Canada
Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2023
Are you a talented and driven distributed systems engineer, with a proven track record, capable of leading cross-organizational features? Does tech debt quiver in its boots at the sound of your name? Do you butter your bread with evented systems? Have the letters C, Q, R, and S been ruined for you in an eventually consistent manner? Have we got news for you, you’re not alone!
In this high-impact role, you’ll lead teams of up to 8 developers, partnering with your engineering manager, product, design, and senior leadership to deliver best-in-class products. You'll help foster our Staff engineers, setting a consistent example for how we lead projects and how we maintain our documents, dashboards, and code bases. You’ll work with talented folks who value code that is 80% of the value for 20% of the work, designs which are forward-thinking enough to be easily flexible for the next features, and leadership with a healthy dose of mindfulness and humility.
Apollo is the worldwide leader of GraphQL innovation. Companies like Netflix, Walmart, Expedia, Peloton, DoorDash, The New York Times, and Zillow are just a small sample of Apollo's customers. Our open-source product has millions of downloads every week. Gartner estimates that by 2025, 50% of companies will be using GraphQL, and we're the clear market leader.
GraphQL is transforming the software development space by creating a brand new layer in companies' stacks called the supergraph that helps engineering teams ship faster and build richer experiences than ever before. Join us and build the future of Apollo’s Graph Management Plane!
What You’ll Do:
- You’ll become a key Domain owner for the team, taking responsibility for the success of every system and product you own, ensuring the relevant telemetry is being captured.
- You will lead cross-team groups of developers and shepherd large-impact initiatives along, either as the technical leader or coaching members of the team to become technical leaders.
- You’ll mentor junior team members and help with interviewing potential teammates.
- You’ll create technical designs that proactively address cost efficiency, security, and observability.
- You’ll deliver technical plans, one-pagers, DRs, and other artifacts.
- You have deep systems expertise and experience with stateless/fault tolerant systems, as well as familiarity with eventing patterns and distributed paradigms.
- You are adept at weighing technical and business trade-offs and can “see down the road and around corners”.
- You enjoy cross-team collaboration and believe in a “rising tides lifts all boats” mentality. You level up those around you, bringing everyone along for the ride.
- You have the ability to work with many different team members across various orgs and positively influence others.
- You are data-oriented with a history of leveraging data to create a sticky, high-quality product for users.
- Bonus points if you know GraphQL!
Location: This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in the US or Canada.
Equal Opportunity: Apollo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a talented and diverse workforce.
See more open positions at Apollo
Something looks off?