Bellevue, WA, US / Indianapolis, IN, US / San Francisco, CA, US / Raleigh, NC, US
Docker’s Support team is on a mission to delight the million of developers and system administrators that rely on Docker to build, ship, and run their distributed applications. Our customer base spans from individuals to SMBs to large global enterprises. As Docker continues to experience hyper growth, the Docker Support team is setting our sights to find creative ways to scale efficiency while simultaneously increasing customer satisfaction.
We are seeking a Software Maintenance Engineer to work as part of our Support Engineering Group and provide world-class support for Docker’s Enterprise Edition (EE). Docker EE is composed of the following technologies: Docker Engine, Docker Trusted Registry, Universal Control Plane, and Docker Swarm.
You are a self-motivated, independent, driven individual who believes in the success of Docker's enterprise customers. A Software Maintenance Engineer works within the Support Engineering Group, a team that is key to the success of Docker's enterprise customers and products.
You will work side-by-side with our Technical Support and Product Engineering teams to troubleshoot complex issues, perform deep dive code analysis and design fixes to be released in future versions of Docker's products. You are a friendly, effective communicator who is inherently interested in delivering a high level of customer satisfaction. You enjoy building reproducers and finding bugs.
- Become an expert in Docker technologies and customer deployment environments
- Create best-in-class help content and proactively perform audits for our publicly-facing knowledge management system
- Partner cross-functionally with product and solution experts to co-develop reference architecture content
- Apply advanced troubleshooting techniques (debug and diagnose) on critical, highly complex problems that span multiple layers of the technology stack
- Engage with the engineering team to resolve technical issues
- Build and maintain customer based reproducer environments for use by your team and other technical teams at Docker
- Reproduce customer issues and package bug reproducers for product engineering
- Diagnose and develop code-level fixes, apply patches, and re-package for customer test
- Drive deep technical post-mortems on behalf of customers
- Be willing to travel to customer sites
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years enterprise technical support experience or Software Maintenance Engineering experience
- Extensive experience troubleshooting remote Linux system issues
- Familiarity with Linux distributions (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu, and SLES)
- Proficient with at least one programming language (Python, Java, Go, C, or other similar languages (Docker's built entirely with Golang, so if you're familiar with Go or fancy yourself a savvy developer of another language such as C/C++ or Java, then you'll fit right in.)
- Strong familiarity with change management control systems such as git
- Demonstrated ability to perform code-level analysis of complex issues
- Ability to analyze and participate on development against current customer reported defects, backport patches, develop code and work internally and upstream to submit work for inclusion.
- Knowledge of REST API and web applications
- Bonus: Upstream involvement in Open Source projects (submitted patches)
Docker, Inc. is the company behind the Docker open source platform and is the chief sponsor of the Docker ecosystem. Docker is an open platform for developers and system administrators to build, ship and run distributed applications. With Docker, IT organizations shrink application delivery from months to minutes, frictionlessly move workloads between data centers and the cloud and can achieve up to 20X greater efficiency in their use of computing resources. Inspired by an active community and by transparent, open source innovation, Docker containers have been downloaded more than 6 billion times and Docker is used by millions of developers across thousands of the world’s most innovative organizations, including ADP, GE, the BBC, Goldman Sachs, Groupon, ING, Yelp, and Spotify. Docker’s rapid adoption has catalyzed an active ecosystem, resulting in hundreds of thousands of “Dockerized” applications, hundreds of Docker-related startups and integration partnerships with AWS, Alibaba, Canonical, Google, IBM, Microsoft, and VMware.